Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 shēngrì kuàilè Dan Dan!!!!

Shēngrì kuàilè !!!!   Happy Birthday Daniel!!!!!   We were so happy to be able to spend Daniel's fourth birthday with him.   After we visited the Finding Places for the boys, we went to the orphanage for a tour.   Now, I have to tell what really happened, because it should be a consideration for all parents thinking about an orphanage visit.   We asked the director to please purchase a cake for us to share with Daniel and the rest of the children he has spent the last 15 months with.    But, I will tell you, as soon as we pulled up in the parking lot, Daniel started crying.   I did my best to comfort him and the guide and nannies did speak to him in Chinese, but when we entered the building and started climbing the stairs he just started sobbing.   I was crying right along with him inside.   But I knew they were expecting us and had bought this cake. 
They had the cake ready and waiting and we just had to plonk him down because we could not get him to stop crying and we wanted him to see the cake.   One of the nannies tried to take him away from me, but he clung all the harder and I said no.   They clearly cared about him and they all talked to him and wiped his tears.   He calmed down eventually and the candle on the cake was the most fantastic thing I have ever seen.   It was lit in the middle and it opened up into a lotus shape with petals.  The middle started popping like a mini firecracker, which lit all the candles on the outside of the cake.   It was really beautiful.   I tried to get him out of there as soon as we could and he played with Baba outside the door for a while.  The nannies also gave him a bottle of what they called "sweet water".   It was clear so I am assuming it was sugar water and it was quite hot!!  Calmed him down, though and he drank the whole thing.   I got as many pictures of the children as I could and we toured the room where they slept, bathed and ate.   They had a very nice music room with a piano.   Afterwards, we went back to the play room and I was able to take pictures of Daniel with two of his closest "friends."   Though the ordeal was upsetting for him,  I think the pictures are priceless.   I will try to keep track of them and see if they get adopted.   I am not able to post any of the birthday pictures as I am not allowed to post pictures of other children in the orphanage.   Liz told me that a wave of relief crossed Dan Dan's face when we put his coat back on.   Said it made her want to cry.   When we zipped him up, he had a great big smile.   We were able to ask the nannies quite a few questions because they drove back to Datong with us in our van.   We found out that Daniel's foster family took him home for two weeks in February for Spring Festival.   They also gave him their family name.   They must have truly loved him.   I have read recently that his legal chinese last name is one that is only used for orphans and for those who don't get adopted, it labels them for life.    So it is significant that this family gave him their own last name.   I hope that one day we will be able to communicate with them and perhaps get pictures of his early days with them.  Anyway, I can only surmise that when we returned with him to the orphanage he assumed that we would be leaving him there, just like the foster family had to.   Bless his little heart!!!!!   We were then treated to a full buffet lunch with the directors which was delicious.   Dan Dan chowed down and the dumplings were to die for.   Yum!!    We had a relaxed lunch and told the directors a little about ourselves.   I showed them pictures of DD and that Daniel looks exactly the same.    They were very friendly and open to our questions.   We then had the long ride back to Taiyuan.  This time the highway was open all the way.   Nonetheless, I avoided the "rest area" facilities :o)    Dan Dan had his first luxurious bath when we got back and he loved it.   I don't think he had ever had the opportunity to just play in the bath.   We then gave him a light up Panda bear for his birthday which he went to sleep with.  All in all, the day ended on a good note.


playing outside with  the main play room with Baba and another staff member

Daniels crib - right inner front

fresh and clean with a cool new bear


2 comments:

  1. He is so precious, Joanne. A real sweety!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too good with your postings! I have gotten so slack since we have been home!
    Daniel is just too cute for words!
    Looking forward to some pics of him at home. :)

    ReplyDelete